Being pregnant has been such an amazing experience but has come with a lot of unknowns. When Matt and I found out we were expecting our first baby we had no idea what to expect, when to expect it or if what we’ve heard was even true. We didn’t research or read anything beforehand. We pretty much have been winging it from the beginning. There have been a lot of “we don’t know” responses and blank stares at each other. Not knowing sometimes brings the magic or fun into a situation. We’ve definitely have had some funny things discovered, scary things discovered and some real head scratchers. I, of course, have had a totally different experience with pregnancy than my husband and have shared my updates as I go (16, 22 & 28). It’s been fun to compare what he didn’t know about pregnancy versus what I didn’t know about pregnancy.
Here are some of the things we didn’t know about pregnancy:
Him: What I Didn’t Know
- I didn’t know strollers and carseat sets were $1,000 and I had no idea how important they were….Well I guess they are?
- I didn’t know decorating a nursery or the babies area was such a big deal. (Note: in our case it will be a corner of our bedroom for now, the other bedrooms are too far away for us).
- I didn’t know my wife would want ice tea so much….twice a day at $2.25/cup.
- Ranch…pass it!
- I didn’t know the pain that you as women endure. All I picture is Stewy from Family Guy kicking you in the bladder constantly.
- I didn’t know you’d be hotter than usual. “It’s 69 in here…it’s HOT!!”. I’d like to preface that you’re always hot even when not pregnant but this is a different level.
- I didn’t know your boobs would be leaking milk already even before the baby is born.
- Piece of advice: Don’t look at your cellphone during a doctors appointment- you’ll definitely get yelled at even if you’re checking into a flight.
- Baby names…everyone has an opinion and everyone isn’t a fan of ours.
- The house can never be clean enough…lots of melt downs!
- I didn’t know I’d have to examine your body for stretch marks all the time.
Her: What I Didn’t Know
- I didn’t know how many times I’d have to go to the doctor. I’ve never been to the doctor so many times in my life before this pregnancy.
- I didn’t know how miserable the first trimester is. I really thought everyone exaggerated or were wimpy…NOT TRUE!
- I didn’t know that I’d have to sleep on my side EVERY single night. Laying on my back literally makes me want to puke.
- I didn’t know that I’d end up hating to cook. I usually love to cook but during this pregnancy I want nothing to do with it. I’ll boil some pasta and heat stuff up but that’s about it.
- I didn’t know that breast milk (or whatever is leaking) stains light colored clothes. Definitely can’t wear white or light shirts, braless anymore (at home of course!).
- I didn’t know that pregnancy would bring out every possible thing that is wrong with you. It’s scary but good to know.
- I didn’t know that I’d be super hormonal. Crying because it was too hot outside or freaking out because the house isn’t clean…too many emotions way too often.
- I didn’t know that my body would take pregnancy so good. Well, better than I thought. I was nervous I’d blow up like a balloon, have high blood pressure, have a ton of stretch marks but so far, so good!
- I didn’t know that men were so scared to acknowledge pregnancy. Every man I’ve met, I’ve had to say to them that I’m pregnant and they reply with “Oh, I thought so! But I didn’t want to say anything because one time I said that to a lady that wasn’t pregnant.”….OMG!
- I didn’t know how little Matt knew about pregnancy and children in general. We never really talked about pregnancy or babies before so it’s been a shock to me that he didn’t even know what a swaddle was…like what?! This has been a lot of learning for him…me too!
- I didn’t know that I wouldn’t see a doctor unless something was wrong or if I request to meet them all. It’s been a nurse or ultrasound technician every single time during every appointment (besides next weeks appointment will be a doctor).