I’m officially in the third trimester & 28 weeks pregnant! I say this in every update but I seriously can’t believe I’m in the last trimester. Now I’m scheduled to see the doctor every 2 weeks and my baby shower is a couple weeks away. It’s so crazy how fast this has went!
He’s the size of a head of lettuce (or an eggplant) and weighs close to 3 pounds. His head is down and I can feel his kicks in my ribs…often. I get the most action when I lay on my back- he either really hates it or really loves it.
The changes to my body have been so crazy to experience.
- My weight was something I was concerned about earlier on. Not anymore though! I’ve gained 11 pounds so far and have a feeling by the time I give birth I’ll be up to 20 or more. I wish I didn’t stress so much about how much weight I gained at the beginning because it’s definitely going to pile on now…I can feel it, haha!
- My breasts have been leaking what I’m going to assume is milk or the start of milk. The random rings of wet spots on my shirt have been interesting. Thankfully, it’s only when I don’t have a bra on which is when I’m home. I’ve noticed my bras have some milk stains in them when I take them off too. Is this a sign that I’ll definitely have breast milk?! I hope so!
- At the end of the day, my pelvis is really sore. I thought I had leg cramps at first until I started to walk around and realized it was my pelvis, not my legs. This is normal I guess from all the pressure. It has been extremely uncomfortable.
- I feel like my energy level is back down to a 30% which has been frustrating. I cried the other day to Matt because I want my energy level back. I’m wondering if that will ever come back?
- Crying…ohhh the crying! I’ve never been a “crying” person. I rarely cry…maybe a couple times a year but OMG I’ve been super emotional the last couple weeks. I’m so happy but can cry on a drop of a hat now. It’s the weirdest emotional feeling I think I’ve experienced as of yet.
- I’ve been sleeping pretty good- 7 to 8 hours a night. Having ALL the pillows for support is a must! I couldn’t sleep without pillows surrounding me or in-between my legs.
- I have to pee OFTEN! I’d never knew how much one person would have to go to the bathroom while pregnant. It’s an insane amount! Depending on his position, if he kicks or moves- I have to go.
- The acid reflux is ridiculous! I have to take Zantac everyday because it’s so bad. I’ve tried to not take it for a couple days but it’s the worst. I can’t not take it, unfortunately. I consulted with my doctor and she said that it is perfectly ok to take but definitely check with your doctor if you have acid reflux to see what they recommend.
If you’ve been following along with my pregnancy you know that at our 20 week appointment we found out that I have a marginal cord insertion. We have to get a couple additional ultrasounds to monitor the umbilical cord, the placenta and the babies growth. Everything looked good at our 28 week ultrasound and he’s growing perfectly! Yayyyy!! My glucose test came back good too so no gestational diabetes here.
I had to have some other blood work done because we have a family history of Rh Factor V which is a mutation of one of the clotting factors in the blood. This is inherited. Thankfully, I don’t have this! They did find out that my ‘protein c’ activity (protein c deficiency) is low which is another blood clotting problem and also inherited. I’m at a higher risk for blood clots while pregnant too. Not such great news but I only found out about this 2 days ago. I’m being referred to the high risk pregnancy doctor to discuss this and from there we will see what needs to be done. I’m glad I found about this now and can deal with it.
My biggest piece of advice- know your family medical history! Grandparents, parents, siblings…it’s so important! The only reason I was tested for this was because I shared that the RH Factor V runs in the family. These tests are not general tests that are done unless disclosed that someone in your family has it.
Right now, I’m craving a huge smoothie. My cravings have pretty much stayed the same- cheese & dairy have been a constant in my diet since I made the switch from vegan to vegetarian. Sweets! I’ve been eating so many sweets, I can’t control myself.
What I miss
I miss my energy level, sleeping on my back and stomach and being able to move around without feeling out of breath or pelvic soreness.
Preparing for baby
We haven’t done too much to prep for the baby. Although we did finally buy the crib and mattress and have set it all up. I’ve bought a few more outfits and books but that is about it. Our baby shower is in a couple weeks so after this we’ll be in full baby preparation mode.
All-in-all this pregnancy has been pretty great! I’ve had some hiccups, things discovered that I never knew existed and some body changes that are rough sometimes but I’m loving it. Pregnancy really is an amazing and special thing.
Happy 28 weeks pregnant to me!